Wednesday, September 3, 2008

school days... or is it school daze?

The boys are back to school. While both protest about the agony of it all, they seemed to have enjoyed their first day back yesterday. I'm feeling a bit sleep deprived because the idea of a regular routine is still a few weeks off. Consequently, I'm getting up an hour earlier than usual to make sure THEY get up on time. I try to go back to sleep, but the ensuing chaos precludes that.

Matt came home with Geometry homework on day one. He had to find the next elements in several series, then explain how he derived the solution. Here's a sampling. (I expect Angie to have them in a snap. I got the two with names quickly. The one with letters took longer, and when we figured it out, it was one of those "doh" moments.)

What are the next two letters/names in each sequence?

OTTFFSSE

George, John, Thomas, James

George, Thomas, Abraham, Alexander...



Here's some first day of school pictures over time (2004, 2006, 2007, 2008)


2 comments:

Angie Weid said...

First answer is 'NT' - I remember this one from a college math class. Crazy how I remember that problem. Got it in a snap!

Next: tricky, though without giving it away the secret...James, John?

And: Took a bit of thinking ... Andrew, Ulysses. I knew the last names but had to get the spelling for Ulysses.

My boys have nearly the same stance as yours, kinda funny.

Phyllis said...

That first one drove me crazy! DUH!
yes, yes. Found out the teacher didn't actually assign that third one--Matt did it anyway. The teacher didn't assign it because he couldn't figure it out. (Both my major and minor were in the social sciences, so those two were easy!)

I think the stance is just a boy thing. This year's is distorted because I was laying on the couch when I took it.