Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

Summer has me hopping and I have been remiss with my posts, but since most of my blogging buddies are MIA as well, I'm betting things have been slow on readership anyway.

I need to take a few minutes to wish my parents, Bob and Joan, a happy anniversary. They are celebrating 53 years of wedded bliss. Now if you know my parents, you're laughing on that one--they are the Bickersons. Deep down, though, I think there's a deep affection and they would be lost without each other. They wouldn't let us do anything for their 50th (it's just another year, after all). However, I am at a point in my life where I am supremely grateful to still have both of my parents, and to have them together.

We have a very cool video made from our childhood home movies (and some older filmstrips as well). One reel was from my parents' wedding. My mom was drop dead gorgeous, she with the Scarlet O'Hara waistline. She had a great ballerina length dress. Neither my sister nor I would have been able to wear it, although I wish I could have. (My sister also had the Scarlet waist, but she and I both would have had to have had multiple bodice alterations--my mom still hasn't figured out where that came from!). My dad was very dapper in his white coat and black slacks. It was also fun to see my grandparents (when they weren't much older than I am right now--in fact, I think my Granny was actually YOUNGER than my current age).

My mom likes to tell the story about how her reception was "dry." At some point in the evening, she noticed that all of the groomsmen (and groom) had disappeared. Any bets on where they were found?

At any rate--happy anniversary Mom and Dad. You did well.

No comments: