Saturday, June 7, 2008

Function over fashion (or oh my aching feet!)

Yesterday was the annual junior high music department trip to Cedar Point (the amazement park). I like to chaperone this trip, although I am not a big coaster fan. It was about 95 degrees in the shade, so I went sleeveless (and slathered the SPF 50 and 70 all over). I debated on footwear though--my funky Converse one-stars (chuck taylor-lites) or my more sensible sketchers. I opted for the Converse--BAADDD move on my part. They looked much better with my outfit than the black and tan sketchers, but I am paying for it today. I have 5 new blisters, some in places that I didn't know you could get blisters. Actually, the count may be higher--my little toe is one massive blister, or maybe it's more of a conglomeration of a dozen or so smaller blisters. Regardless, it is now swathed in bandaids, and between those and the underlying pain, walking any further than across the room is not an option. Overall, though, it was all worth it.

The kids deserted us early on--what 14 year old wants to be seen with their mother?? So the moms walked around and dared to go on a few of the rides. I am not a fan of the coasters with the really big hills, like Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster. Those are just not going to happen for me. But I will go on some of the loopy ones. I managed to do 4 coasters--old standards like Blue Streak and Gemini, which still provide a fun ride even if they are tame. My favorite is the Raptor, so I hit that one. Then one of the other moms and I decided to test our fate on the Maverick. It doesn't look bad. The ride is smooth. I survived it and can say I did it, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. It is fast (my son laughed when I said that--but when you're older than dirt, the speed kind of takes your breath away). It is constantly flipping you one way then another. Quite a ride--worth it, at least the once.

Off now to other summer pursuits, and hoping the boys can keep themselves occupied this summer without beating on each other. At least they'll be together at the high school next year. That's a good thing. I think.

No comments: