Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year, Renewed Me

Well, the calendar has rolled over into 2009. I can't say I'm sorry to see 2008 go. It was an up and down year. I lost a few friends (Steve, Sherry, Steve). Made a few new ones (my football moms!). I still have a job even if I don't always like it, my kids are great--the younger boys were successful in both academics and athletics. Andrew had a bit more of a tumultuous year, but I'll leave it to him to tell that story.

With the change of years generally comes the traditional New Year's resolutions. I swore them off a couple of years ago. Sure, I could stand to lose 20 pounds (ok, 30 pounds), but I'm at an age where my inner workings are making that more and more difficult. I'll do what I can, but I can't let that rule me. I'll eventually get around to using that Y-membership.

Instead of things to change, I like to set out a list of things to do and see how many I can check off. This year I will:
  • Pray. Daily.
  • Set aside "me" time to recharge my batteries. This will include things like getting lost in a good book while soaking in a bubble bath, and doing girls' night out (or weekend retreats) on a regular basis.
  • Visit my parents more often. I am blessed to still have them, and they live around the block--yet I do not see them very frequently.
  • Do things with my sister more often. She also lives within a mile of me, and I see her even less frequently.
  • Catch up with my friends. I owe Dave, Monica, and Jenny lunch; Bob, Kim, and Michelle dinner. I have a good friend Margo who was my partner in crime for many years, but life got in the way and we haven't seen each other in forever--we owe each other one of those girls' weekend retreats.
  • Help those who need it--continue to volunteer for whatever beckons.
  • Help those who may not need it--random acts of kindness--doing the unexpected--can change a life.

I should probably also include more mundane things like organizing my garage and basement store room, and maybe my closet and sock drawer. um, maybe not.

Here's to a wonderful 2009 for all my family and friends (and me!).

1 comment:

Andrew Reese said...

tumultuous... good word mom